Thursday, October 6, 2011

Interview with Author Jaimey Grant

1:Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I'm in my early 30s, mother of two homeschooled kids (ages 7 & 5), just celebrated my 13th wedding anniversary, blogger (http://jaimeygrant.blogpost.com), writer (www.jaimeygrant.com), book cover designer (www.anauthorsart.com), facebook addict (http://www.facebook.com/jaimeygrantauthor) and chronic procrastinator. I think that about sums me up. :O)


2: What was your favorite story to tell?

Probably Heartless, which is currently out-of-print. It's due for re-release from TreasureLine Publishing (www.treasurelinebooks.com), though, if I can ever get my act together and get the edits done. lol It's my favorite because the hero is my favorite man. Ever. Coincidentally, Heartless is my bestseller, even before my recent "bestsellerdom" (not a word, I know, but it should be) status with Smashwords (back in July for the Summer/Winter promotion).


3: Where is your favorite spot to write?

I'm limited in that as my laptop (antique that it is, lol) won't work if it's not plugged in. But the quiet of my bedroom is the ideal spot for me. Everywhere else is too distracting. 


4: What has been the toughest criticism you ever received? The highest compliment?

Strangely, there is one review that answers both of those questions. I received a review from a reader of whom I think highly. She said one of my books lacked the character depth of my others. I almost cried. Then she said that my "average" was better than most authors' "best" and I almost cried again. I took that as high praise even though one could take from her words that there is a plethora of average or worse-than-average literature out there. I choose to take it as a compliment. :O)

Tying for highest compliment would be when another reader/writer said my book, Betrayal, had a very Austenesque depth of characters. I can't really think of higher praise for a Regency author. 

5: What is the best writing advice you can give?

BETA READERS. There are so many books out there that would be so much better if they had been sent out into the world, prior to publication, specifically so readers could catch the typos, plot holes, poor characterizations, etc. I am deeply grateful to my beta readers for the fabulous catches they made in my latest Regency, Honor


6: What project are you working on now?

I'm very close to the release of a short story, a fantasy called The Dragon's Birth. It's related to an unpublished novel I finished two years ago, sort of a prequel to the series. Once that's out, I'm determined to get the edits for Heartless done so it can be set free again. 

7: Chocolate or vanilla?

Chocolate, definitely. :O)

To have the honor and pleasure of creating the written word. https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/jaz1181

2 comments:

  1. Having read so much of Jaimey Grant's work, both published and unpublished, I can tell you that her average is definitely better than most (no I did not write that review). I easily place her at the top of the list for favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx for interviewing me, Jennifer. It was fun answering your questions. :O)

    ReplyDelete